Skip to content

Clancy’s Strand

Address

Clancy’s Strand, LimerickGoogle MapsArrow
  • Clancy’s Strand is named after George Clancy, who was elected mayor of Limerick in 1921. He died in office when he was shot by British Auxiliaries on 7 March 1921, during the War of Independence.
  • In 2009, Clancy’s Strand was reopened by the mayor of Limerick, becoming a popular riverside promenade.
  • It was one of nineteen listed venues for the 19th edition of EVA in 1994, curated by Jan Hoet (b. 1936, Belgium; d. 2014). This was the first year when international artists were invited to take part in the exhibition, selected by an adjudicator/curator.
  • On March 12 1994 The Limerick Post published a short article about that years curator, Jan Hoet, with the headline ‘Belgium’s Sexiest Man Visits Limerick’.
  • In 1994, Steven Bachelder (b. 1961, USA) presented an outdoor installation incorporating the trees on Clancy’s Strand.

Artwork presented at this venue

Steven Bachelder, Cherry Tree and Ivy, 1994.