The Red Church
- This former Presbyterian church was designed by the architect George Coppinger Ashlin (1837-1921) in partnership with Thomas Coleman. The build was started in 1899 and was completed in October 1901.
- After the Presbyterians stopped using the church in the 1970s, it was used for a short time as a courthouse. It is now in commercial use as an office building, after extensive renovations approximately 1995.
- A former solicitors’ office in this building was a venue for two EVA editions. It was one of nineteen venues in the 18th edition curated by Jan Hoet (b. 1936, Belgium; d. 2014) in 1994. It was used again the following year in the 19th edition curated by María de Corral (b. 1940, Spain). The 1994 and 1995 editions of EVA were significant in their use of numerous arts and non-arts venues across the city. The 1995 edition included venues such as a dentist’s office, a framing shop and a courthouse.
- At this venue in 1994, Mariusz Kruk (b. 1952, Poland) exhibited Untitled (1991), a sculptural installation consisting of two chairs, a wooden plank, and a hand saw.
Editions
Artwork presented at this venue
Mariusz Kruk, Untitled, 1991.